Sundays 6-8 PM
- Hosted by Jennifer Ramm
An emotionally-charged, heart-rending, paint-peeling, splinter-kicking one hour bluegrass show. We’re all over the bluegrassical map, boldly covering such hot topics as broken things in Bluegrassland, gospel train songs, and “ain’t” tunes. Jennifer Ramm brings you the best in bluegrass and related music. With roots in Celtic, country, folk and blues, bluegrass has a rich heritage that continues to grow thanks to a new generation of gifted musicians.
From masters like Bill Monroe and Flatt & Scruggs to contemporary artists like Alison Krauss and Ricky Skaggs, from rock-ribbed traditional to boldly progressive, you'll hear it all on Bluegrass Breakdown.
County Sales - for decades one of the best sources of bluegrass and old-time music.Where to buy bluegrass recordings for your musical library
- Elderly Recordings - a great place to find bluegrass, Celtic, blues, Cajun, singer-songwriters, and more.
- Amazon.com has huge selections of every kind of music, including bluegrass.
Track the latest bluegrass releases at:
Learning more about bluegrass: books, videos and magazines
To learn more about bluegrass music, we recommend:
- Bluegrass: A History by Neil Rosenberg (University of Illinois Press, 1985)
- Bluegrass: An Informal Guide by Richard Smith (Chicago Review Press, 1995)
- Can't You Hear Me Callin': The Life of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass by Richard D. Smith (Little Brown, 2000)
- Bluegrass Breakdown by Robert Cantwell (University of Illinois Press, 1984)
We also recommend the fine documentary High Lonesome (available on video fromCounty Sales and other stores). You can keep up to date on the bluegrass scene with subscriptions to Bluegrass Unlimited magazines.
- Web sites ibluegrass and Cybergrass contain a wealth of bluegrass information.
- For a lively, if sometimes rancorous, e-mail discussion group devoted to bluegrass, check out Bgrass-L.
- The International Bluegrass Music Association and the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music in America are on the web as well.