Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Tue March 25, 2014
Wierzba Out As UIS Men's Basketball Coach
The University of Illinois Springfield is looking for a new men's basketball coach. The school announced today that Ben Wierzba's contract won't be renewed.
He spent four years leading the Prairie Stars finishing with an overall record of 39 wins and 69 losses. His career as head coach was highlighted by leading the program to a 15-13 record in his second year in 2011-12 as the team finished 12-6 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.
Athletic Director Kim Pate says a search for a replacement will begin immediately.
“I want to thank Coach Wierzba for his contributions to UIS and for his hard work and dedication over the past four years,” Pate said in a written statement. “He is a first class individual and has a bright professional future ahead of him. I wish him and his family nothing but the best in their future endeavors.”
The Associate Athletic Director, Travis Whipple, will lead the program during the transition period.