Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
All Songs Considered
Thu October 3, 2013
Watch: Julianna Barwick Performs 'Crystal Lake' At Judson Church In New York
Originally published on Fri October 4, 2013 8:29 am
Sometimes music and setting combine for something more than the sum of its parts. Julanna Barwick found the perfect complement for her ethereal music in the Judson Memorial Church in New York City. Barwick's method of recording, sampling and layering her own voice was influenced by her upbringing in church choirs, so this Greenwich Village landmark was a natural fit.
This song is "Crystal Lake," and features guests Sharon Van Etten and Taraka and Nimai Larson of Prince Rama. The original version can be found on her latest album, Nepenthe, which came out this summer on Dead Oceans Records. Barwick wraps up a national tour with Sigur Rós next week.