Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Thu November 28, 2013
Vince Gill & Paul Franklin On World Cafe
Originally published on Fri November 29, 2013 1:34 pm
Country Music Hall of Famer and 20-time Grammy winner Vince Gill visited the WXPN studio, and in tow was renowned steel guitarist Paul Franklin. Together, they pay tribute to two other noteworthy figures in country music: Buck Owens and Merle Haggard.
Gill and Franklin have a new album together called Bakersfield. The name of the record was inspired by the California city, a thriving center for most country music in the 1950s and '60s. As listeners will hear in the duo's set, the country that came out of Bakersfield was a bit harder, with electric guitars and a backbeat. The musicians perform some of their favorite and lesser-known country tunes from the era.