Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Tue June 4, 2013
VIDEO: Kid's Salute Turns Cymbal Crash Into Symbolic Victory
Originally published on Tue June 4, 2013 9:35 am
There may be no better way to start the day than with this video that's going viral.
At Eisenhower Junior High School in Darien, Ill., last month, the school band was playing the national anthem. Thirteen-year-old percussionist Andrew Pawelczyk was clashing his cymbals at all the appropriate moments.
Then, one of his straps broke. Andrew's right cymbal fell to the floor.
For a moment, Andrew tells CNN, he thought about running to get a replacement cymbal. But then he came up with a great idea.
He stood and saluted the flag.
Watch and see how it all played out. The crash comes at about the 1:05 mark.