Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Tue January 7, 2014
Venezuelan Beauty Queen, Telenovela Star Killed In Robbery
The former Miss Venezuela and telenovela star Mónica Spear and her husband were killed after gunman opened fire during what police say was an attempted robbery in Venezuela on Tuesday.
The AP reports:
"It said the couple's 5-year-old daughter was in stable condition after getting medical attention for unspecified injuries."
"The family lived in the United States and was on vacation. Local news reports said they were awaiting a tow truck."
The 29-year-old Spear was crowned Miss Venezuela in 2004. After that she went on to star in many soap operas aired in the United States by the Telemundo network.
The network issued a statement saying they were "deeply affected and sorry for the terrible crime."
Spear, the network said, wasn't just a "great professional" but an "excellent person, who was always enthusiastic with a lot of strength and determination."
Venezuela's El Universal reports a homicide team from the capital of Caracas is headed to Puerto Cabello, where the shooting took place, to start an investigation.