Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Mon July 14, 2014
Tipping The Cap To Derek Jeter, An All-Star's All-Star
Originally published on Mon July 14, 2014 2:46 pm
We're halfway through the last baseball season for New York Yankee Derek Jeter, and that's reason enough for Nike's Jordan Brand to craft a stirring tribute that shows his fellow sports stars, fans and rivals giving a nod to the shortstop.
The video follows along as a simple gesture — a tip of the cap from Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester during a Jeter at-bat — becomes a swelling show of respect for the Yankee whose talent, work ethic and personality have made him a celebrity for all the right reasons.
The "RE2PECT" ad starts in a stadium, where Spike Lee and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani are among those who tip their caps. It then moves far beyond, to Phil Jackson and Maya Moore, to Jay Z and Billy Crystal, to pixelated Mets players and begrudging Red Sox fans.
Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods make appearances; so does former Yankees manager Joe Torre, seated at a table with a few of Jeter's old teammates.