Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Tue August 26, 2014
Student Brings Gun To Lanphier High School
There will be heightened security at Lanphier High School Wednesday after a student brought a gun to class on Tuesday afternoon. The weapon was apprehended without incident and the 16 year old male student was arrested. Police say he allegedly had the gun for protection and at no point displayed or threatened to use it. Superintendent Jennifer Gill says there will be more police officers at the high school in the coming few days:
"We just want to make sure that we're vigilant. For the next couple of days we are going to have increase beyond what we already have in terms of security, and civilian security as well as on-duty police officers and making sure that we're patrolling the area as well, just to make sure there's a sense of calm and support not only by the school district but the Springfield Police Department," said Gill.
Lanphier High School is the only school in District 186 expected to have immediate increased security as a result of the incident says Gill.