Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Tue August 26, 2014
Student Brings Gun To Lanphier High School
There will be heightened security at Lanphier High School Wednesday after a student brought a gun to class on Tuesday afternoon. The weapon was apprehended without incident and the 16 year old male student was arrested. Police say he allegedly had the gun for protection and at no point displayed or threatened to use it. Superintendent Jennifer Gill says there will be more police officers at the high school in the coming few days:
"We just want to make sure that we're vigilant. For the next couple of days we are going to have increase beyond what we already have in terms of security, and civilian security as well as on-duty police officers and making sure that we're patrolling the area as well, just to make sure there's a sense of calm and support not only by the school district but the Springfield Police Department," said Gill.
Lanphier High School is the only school in District 186 expected to have immediate increased security as a result of the incident says Gill.