Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Mon February 24, 2014
State Fiscal 'Toolbox' Available To Better Explain Budget Issues
Illinois, like many states, suffered financially during the recession. But an economist says Illinois was in a weaker position to deal with the challenge.
David Merriman is with the University of Illinois' Institute of Government and Public Affairs.
The Institute has developed what's called the Illinois Budget Policy Toolbox. Merriman says it will provide information on the state's finances and analysis of proposals that come up during an election year.
He tells WUIS' Sean Crawford that Illinois has had difficulty coming out of the recession because of fiscal policy decisions made over the years: