Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Thu February 13, 2014
St. Paul And The Broken Bones On World Cafe
Originally published on Wed April 2, 2014 1:15 pm
The Birmingham, Ala., soul band St. Paul and the Broken Bones is led by Paul Janeway, who grew up singing gospel, and was even groomed to be a preacher. But the soul music he loved kept calling. For years, it didn't entirely click, until he got in the studio with bassist Jesse Phillips.
Close your eyes and you hear a deep soul singer, open them — and watch World Cafe's in-studio video — and you'll see that Janeway kind of resembles a student accountant. The band's new debut album is titled Half the City.