Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Thu February 13, 2014
St. Paul And The Broken Bones On World Cafe
Originally published on Wed April 2, 2014 1:15 pm
The Birmingham, Ala., soul band St. Paul and the Broken Bones is led by Paul Janeway, who grew up singing gospel, and was even groomed to be a preacher. But the soul music he loved kept calling. For years, it didn't entirely click, until he got in the studio with bassist Jesse Phillips.
Close your eyes and you hear a deep soul singer, open them — and watch World Cafe's in-studio video — and you'll see that Janeway kind of resembles a student accountant. The band's new debut album is titled Half the City.