Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Wed October 2, 2013
Sandburg Statue In Galesburg To Be Unveiled Soon
Work is almost done on a massive, nine-foot-tall bronze statue of Carl Sandburg.
The (Galesburg) Register-Mail reports (http://bit.ly/1hhDqZx ) the statue of the Pulitzer-winning author and Galesburg native will be set up in the western Illinois community's public square.
The piece depicts Sandburg with a guitar on his back and his books in one hand, along with his pet goat.
The statue was commissioned by the Galesburg Public Arts Commission and is being designed by artist Lonnie Stewart.
The $250,000 project is being paid for with private donations, although the group is still raising money to cover costs.
Chuck Bednar is president of the arts commission.
He says officials hope to have a reception later this month to unveil the piece, which will be installed later.
Sandburg died in 1967.