Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Public Radio Interview: Rauner At 100 Days
- Data Trackers: License Plate Scanning Technology Raises Privacy Questions
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Studies Show Limited Impact Of Settlement Sizes On Health Care
- School Musical Decorations Produce Off-Stage Drama
Tue December 10, 2013
Same Sex Marriage Forums To Explain The New Law
Advocates who pressed for same-sex marriage to become legal in Illinois are now sponsoring forums to help gay and lesbian couples understand the law.
Equality Illinois' Director of Public Policy, Randy Hannig, says he already has been "flooded" with questions from couples who want to marry.
'We're using it as an opportunity to educate," Hannig said. "We did the same thing three years ago after the civil unions law was signed."
Among the topics to be covered are how to convert a civil union into a marriage and how couples married in other states will be treated under Illinois' law, which takes effect June 1. One of the forums is set for December 12 in Springfield at the Phoenix House.
Participants are urged to register in advance.