Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
All Songs Considered
Sun April 6, 2014
Revisionist History: 5 Crucial Frankie Knuckles Remixes
Originally published on Sun April 6, 2014 10:24 am
Over the past week, dance music lovers around the world published several "beginner's guides" to Frankie Knuckes' catalog of house hits. Slate's Nicholas Fonseca tackled the godfather's top singles with an illuminating essay, and The Guardian's music blog ran down five of his essential songs. The Red Bull Music Academy created a YouTube playlist of some of the DJ's staple selections during his years at Chicago's Warehouse dance club. All are worth checking out.
We wanted to shine a light on another corner of Knuckle's legacy — the remix. As his profile began to rise in the mid-1980s, stars from other genres enlisted his talents to turn their own radio singles into club anthems. Here are a handful of our favorite revisions by a true visionary.