- Attorney General Wants To Send Concealed Carry Cases Out Of Court
- Republican Bruce Rauner Defends His Personal Tax Bill
- Trucker Asks: Are Police Above The Law?
- Applicants Denied Concealed Carry Licenses Will Learn Why Under New Emergency Rules
- Republican Attorney General Candidate: Pension Changes Unconstitutional
Most Active Stories
Chicago City Government
Wed July 24, 2013
Rep. Mell To Replace Father On Chicago City Council
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is appointing a state lawmaker to fill her father's long-held city council seat.
Deborah Mell's appointment was announced Wednesday.
She'll replace Dick Mell, who's retiring after almost four decades.
Emanuel says the progressive state representative is "breaking glass ceilings'' as the council's first openly lesbian member.
The appointment created a sticky situation for Emanuel, who touted his efforts to change the way business has always been done at City Hall, by hiring based on merits, not by who's related to whom and who's owed a favor.
The mayor has said Deborah Mell was never guaranteed the job because of her last name, but wasn't excluded because of it.
Her father pushed for her to take the post.
Twelve people were considered for the job.