Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Wed March 19, 2014
Rep. Farnham Steps Down; Cites Health Reasons
A day after the primary race, a member of the Illinois House has stepped down. The legislator is under federal scrutiny.
Representative Keith Farnham, a Democrat from Elgin, gave no reason in his one-sentence resignation letter.
But in a statement, Farnham says he has been battling serious health issues for years, and in coming months those health issues will require his full attention.
"The right thing to do for the people of the 43rd District is to make sure they have a dedicated, qualified and full-time advocate in our communities and in the State Capitol," he writes.
Last week federal agents searched Farnham's home and office.
Officials say they can give no more specifics, as the investigation is ongoing.
Farnham's letter is addressed to House Speaker Michael Madigan, and says his resignation is effective immediately.