Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Wed September 18, 2013
Rep. Cross Officially Launches Bid For Treasurer
House Republican Leader Tom Cross says he's running for Illinois treasurer because the office has more opportunity than ever before in helping turn around Illinois' financial woes.
The Oswego lawmaker is leaving his leadership post to campaign. He launched a two-day tour Wednesday with stops planned in Chicago, Rockford and Moline.
Cross tells The Associated Press he knows the budget as well as any person and wants the treasurer's office to play a bigger role in making sure it's balanced.
Treasurer Dan Rutherford is seeking the GOP nomination for governor.
A former prosecutor, Cross had considered attorney general. He changed course when Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan decided to seek re-election.
DuPage County Auditor Bob Grogan is Cross' GOP opponent. Sen. Mike Frerichs of Champaign is seeking the Democratic nod.