Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Wed November 20, 2013
Reaction To Same Sex Marriage Bill Signing
Gov. Pat Quinn on Wednesday signed same sex marriage into law in Illinois. Here are quotes and reaction to the bill signing.
``It means we are able to say that we're a family and be recognized because we are like everyone else.'' _ Jen Dickie Rothke of Chicago, who has been with her partner for 13 years. They have a son together.
``We are witnessing one of the most significant demonstrations of justice in Illinois history.'' _ Illinois Senate President John Cullerton.
``It's time for this to happen.'' _ Allison Kowal, 19, student at University of Illinois at Chicago.
``It's time to stop planning rallies. It's time to start planning weddings.'' _ Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon
``The bill is called the Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act. But this act is neither free nor fair for people of religious convictions.'' _ Peter Breen, vice president and senior counsel at the Thomas More Society.
``History will show that we got it right on this one ... I just want to end by noting that I am available to be a flower girl and I'll even waive the fee.'' _ Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka.
``We're here to celebrate, family, commitment, equality, love, courage and community.'' _ Rep. Greg Harris, a Chicago Democrat who sponsored the bill.