Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Mon May 12, 2014
Pre-K Teacher Named Educator Of The Year
Dee Dee Duffy has been teaching in District 186 for 25 years. Monday she was honored as the 2014 Horace Mann Educator of the Year. Duffy is an Early Start Pre-Kindergarten teacher at the Early Learning Center.
Also, Nichole Heyen, principal of Lincoln Magnet Middle School, was named Administrator of the Year. She's been in District 186 for 14 years.
Both were honored at a luncheon ceremony.
The program has been in existence since 1998. An independent panel makes the selections.
According to Horace Mann. finalists for 2014 Educator of the Year included Claire Benoit, Owen Marsh Elementary; Leslie Poppenhouse, Owen Marsh Elementary; Mary Tennant, Black Hawk Elementary and Harvard Park Elementary; and Barbara Thompson, Iles Elementary.
Administrator of the Year finalists were Jill Grove, principal of the Early Learning Center; and Jason Wind, principal of Southeast High School.
The Rising Star award was given to two promising teachers who have been with the district four years or less. The 2014 Rising Star recipients are: Lauren Harmon of Harvard Park Elementary School and Darien Orr of Lindsay Elementary School.