Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Are People Really Leaving Illinois In Droves?
- Falling Union Membership? The Governor Has A Theory About That ...
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
Tue March 18, 2014
Pitch Perfect: 3 Must-Hear Vocal Albums
Originally published on Wed August 13, 2014 9:50 am
The human voice, the true original instrument, is still the most expressive and personal of all. It's one reason more than 42.5 million Americans sing in choirs, and why we seem to be hardwired to tell our stories through song. It also probably explains why I'm a vocal music junkie, eagerly pawing over the operas, recitals and choir albums that land on my desk and in my download folder. Below are three recent releases well worth repeated listening — an evocative glimpse of traditional Russian Orthodox choral music, a blistering account of Beethoven's Solemn Mass and a perfectly ripened example of the kind of post-Romantic opera that blossomed in early 20th-century Vienna.