Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Public Radio Interview: Rauner At 100 Days
- Data Trackers: License Plate Scanning Technology Raises Privacy Questions
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Studies Show Limited Impact Of Settlement Sizes On Health Care
- School Musical Decorations Produce Off-Stage Drama
Fri February 14, 2014
People Around The World Dance For 'One Billion Rising' Day
Originally published on Fri February 14, 2014 3:22 pm
It’s Valentines Day today, which also means it’s the second annual “One Billion Rising” Day, an international event started by playwright Eve Ensler to draw attention to domestic violence.
The event is billed as a global call to women survivors of violence to gather safely, together or alone — in courthouses, police stations, government offices, parks and homes — to express themselves through art, word and dance.
Last year’s inaugural event inspired women from around the world to post ‘selfies’ of themselves dancing — some in countries where public dance is forbidden.