Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Fri April 25, 2014
Paquito D'Rivera On Piano Jazz
Paquito D'Rivera is an alto saxophone virtuoso with a huge, bright sound. He's also a fleet-fingered clarinetist, a defiant composer, a radiant arranger and a pianist to boot. D'Rivera was a child prodigy in his native Cuba and a renowned musician on the jazz scene there. In 1980, he left Cuba for the U.S. and quickly took the American jazz scene by storm.
On this archival episode of Piano Jazz from 1995, D'Rivera and bassist David Fink joined host Marian McPartland for "Birk's Works," in honor of composer Dizzy Gillespie. They also perform "A Night in Englewood."
Originally recorded Jan. 10, 1995.