Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Fri April 25, 2014
Paquito D'Rivera On Piano Jazz
Paquito D'Rivera is an alto saxophone virtuoso with a huge, bright sound. He's also a fleet-fingered clarinetist, a defiant composer, a radiant arranger and a pianist to boot. D'Rivera was a child prodigy in his native Cuba and a renowned musician on the jazz scene there. In 1980, he left Cuba for the U.S. and quickly took the American jazz scene by storm.
On this archival episode of Piano Jazz from 1995, D'Rivera and bassist David Fink joined host Marian McPartland for "Birk's Works," in honor of composer Dizzy Gillespie. They also perform "A Night in Englewood."
Originally recorded Jan. 10, 1995.