Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Sat March 29, 2014
The Outfit, TX: 'Where Is That Working Man's Music?'
Originally published on Tue July 8, 2014 10:51 am
The Outfit, TX are a trio from Dallas who came together at the University of Houston. Dorian and Mel have been partners since middle school, and they met JayHawk in a freshmen dorm. The three of them sat down with Microphone Check hosts Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Frannie Kelley in the Austin sunshine, cracked a few Lone Stars and opined on Texas funk, Texas weather, church and their business plan. They also spoke about the career stage they're at right now:
"You sit down and you're like, 'Man. Are they gonna understand? Are we doing this for naught? Putting all this love into this music.' We going and working these server jobs. This lady talking about her iced tea," says Mel. "I got my last chorus in my mind. I ain't even remember she wanted an iced tea. 'I really don't care about your iced tea. But I'mma go get you this iced tea, lady."
They say it's not easy, but they're making music for the working man — that music you can live to.
Producers: Mito Habe-Evans, Frannie Kelley, Ali Shaheed Muhammed; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Videographers: Olivia Merrion, A.J. Wilhelm; Editor: Denise DeBelius; Special Thanks: Friends & Neighbors, Cedric Shine; Executive Producer: Anya Grundmann.