Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Tue November 5, 2013
Obama Applauds Illinois Legislature
President Barack Obama is praising the passage of same-sex marriage legislation in his home state of Illinois. Obama, who served in the Illinois state Senate, released a statement saying he
was ``overjoyed for all the committed couples in Illinois.''
The president is commending members of the Legislature for approaching the
issue in an ``open and fair way.'' He says the nation's journey is not complete
until gay men and women are treated equally under the law.
Same-sex marriage legislation passed the state House on Tuesday, nearly nine
months the Senate approved it. The vote comes on the heels of the U.S. Senate's
advancement of a workplace anti-discrimination bill for gay, lesbian and
Illinois will be the 15th state to allow gay marriage.