Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Wed March 5, 2014
Nicole Atkins On World Cafe
Nicole Atkins' New Jersey roots have made their way into her music throughout her career. Her 2007 album Neptune City was named for a community on the Jersey shore, and her latest, Slow Phaser, came into being in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy's destruction of that very area.
Slow Phaser is Atkins' first release on her own label, but familiar players return. Neptune City producer Tore Johanson contacted Atkins after Hurricane Sandy and offered her the chance to come to Sweden. They recorded what would become the new album in his Malmo studio.
On World Cafe, we'll hear Atkins perform four new songs live and find out why David Byrne was indirectly responsible for her starting her own label.