Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Thu May 1, 2014
New District 186 Superintendent Starts Today
Jennifer Gill assumes her duties as Springfield District 186 Superintendent today. Gill is a native of Springfield and has worked as a teacher, administrator and building principal in the district.
More recently she served as Director of Teaching and Learning at McLean County Unit 5 in Bloomington Normal.
This is her first job as superintendent. She inherits a district facing annual budget deficits and disagreement over whether or not to try for a tax referendum. She'll also have to work with a board that has previously fought publicly over a variety of issues.
Her supporters have indicated her background with the district will help her overcome those challenges.
Gill issued a statement as she officially took over the position. "This is an extremely exciting time for myself and my family," she said. "Serving Springfield Public Schools at this level is an honor. Im look forward to being on the ground, working to serve our students, families, staff and the Board of Education in District 186. I continue to be amazed at the local support from our community organizations as well as the business community."