Most Active Stories
Education Journalist Wanted
Wed May 14, 2014
Multimedia Journalist - Education
Title: Multimedia Journalist-Education at WUIS
Close Date: 05/30/2014
Description: The Multimedia Journalist – Education position at WUIS will be the primary reporter for the coverage of the education beat. This will include producing original content on contemporary and relevant education issues including the challenges, successes and failures in the field. This content will be produced for digital, broadcast and print distribution. At least one long-form special will be produced each year on the state of education based on reporting. An ongoing education blog will be written to capture the broad nature of the beat including aggregation and community engagement. As part of WUIS’ Education Initiative, this journalist will participate in community engagement activities and leadership engagement through an education advisory board.
- Research and identify issues related to education and determine their merits for news coverage including analyzing and interpreting legislation, board actions, policy statements, speeches, court opinions and other documents.
- ultivate education sources and develop a contact list.
- Make appropriate, timely and effective independent decisions regarding issues to be covered.
- Build knowledge of educational policy and practice in order to produce content with the highest level of credibility and serve as an expert on education for media across the state.
- Produce in-depth and spot news content related to education for digital, broadcast and print that make issues relevant and understandable to the community while being balanced, evidence-based and accurate.
- Use a creative approach to delivering content in an accessible style.
- Write and produce on deadline for multimedia including radio, print and digital media.
- A Master’s degree in journalism or commensurate experience.
- A minimum of three years of journalism experience.
- A minimum of two years of excellent reporting on education.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and understand experts in educational policy and practice.
- Ability to meet frequent deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments.
- Ability to take initiative and work with a minimal amount of direct supervision.
- Keen sense of news judgment and ability to make independent decisions.
- Developed writing style that results in engaging stories.
- Proven experience using social/digital media to drive story traffic.
- Conversational on-air delivery.
- Ability to operate broadcast equipment with an emphasis on digital audio production.
- Experience and knowledge of standard newsroom practices.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Familiarity with public radio news.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems in a news environment.
- Understanding of state and local government relating to education.
- A Doctorate degree in journalism or an education related field.
- Experience in public radio.
- Computer Assisted Reporting (CAR) skills.
- Evidence-based reporting skills.
- Previous coverage of state or local government preferred.
Please click here to "Apply For Position," create or update your profile and upload a cover letter of application addressing qualifications related to the position, a resume and the names and contact information (phone and email address) for at least 3 references.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by May 30, 2014.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to recruitment and retention of a diverse and inclusive campus community. Persons with disabilities, women, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
WUIS Engage Breakfast