Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Are People Really Leaving Illinois In Droves?
- Falling Union Membership? The Governor Has A Theory About That ...
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
Wed June 18, 2014
Mother Jones Monument In Central Illinois To Be Restored
An Illinois monument to famed labor crusader Mother Jones in the graveyard where she's buried is getting a makeover, thanks to donors from 17 states.
The (Alton) Telegraph reports the restoration of the 22-foot granite obelisk was announced Tuesday in the union-owned Mount Olive cemetery where Mary Harris Jones is buried.
A symbolic check for $61,000 was presented during the ceremony, representing donations ranging in size from $5 to $5,000 from 107 union organizations.
The restoration is to be finished by mid-2015. The 80-ton Minnesota granite monument was dedicated at Harris' grave six years after she died in 1930 at the age of 100.
From the 1870's almost until her death, the white-haired, 5-foot former seamstress was in the thick of some of the nation's most venomous labor disputes.