Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Tue July 30, 2013
Lt. Gov. Simon Seeks Comptroller's Office
Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon is jumping into the 2014 race for Illinois comptroller.
After months of considering other statewide offices, she'll make it official Wednesday with stops in Chicago, Springfield and Carbondale. She tells The Associated Press the idea of teaching the public about the budget is appealing.
She could face Will County Auditor Duffy Blackburn in a Democratic primary.
Republican Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka is seeking re-election and has a fundraising advantage. She's a former state treasurer and gubernatorial candidate.
Simon announced in February that she wouldn't seek another term with Gov. Pat Quinn. She also played up her legal background as a former prosecutor, prompting talk that she'd seek attorney general. However, Attorney General Lisa Madigan said this month that she's seeking re-election and isn't running for governor.