Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Tue July 30, 2013
Lt. Gov. Simon Seeks Comptroller's Office
Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon is jumping into the 2014 race for Illinois comptroller.
After months of considering other statewide offices, she'll make it official Wednesday with stops in Chicago, Springfield and Carbondale. She tells The Associated Press the idea of teaching the public about the budget is appealing.
She could face Will County Auditor Duffy Blackburn in a Democratic primary.
Republican Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka is seeking re-election and has a fundraising advantage. She's a former state treasurer and gubernatorial candidate.
Simon announced in February that she wouldn't seek another term with Gov. Pat Quinn. She also played up her legal background as a former prosecutor, prompting talk that she'd seek attorney general. However, Attorney General Lisa Madigan said this month that she's seeking re-election and isn't running for governor.