- Attorney General Wants To Send Concealed Carry Cases Out Of Court
- Republican Bruce Rauner Defends His Personal Tax Bill
- Trucker Asks: Are Police Above The Law?
- Republican Attorney General Candidate: Pension Changes Unconstitutional
- Applicants Denied Concealed Carry Licenses Will Learn Why Under New Emergency Rules
Most Active Stories
Thu November 7, 2013
Lincoln Tomb To Close For Repairs
Abraham Lincoln's final resting place will be off limits to visitors for a few months as repairs are made.
The Lincoln Tomb at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield houses the former President, his wife and three of their four children.
The state is investing more than 600 thousand dollars to restore interior finishes that have deteriorated over the years. That includes plaster molding, paint, wall panels and plaques.
The project will begin December first and won't be complete until early March. The tomb will be closed to the public during that time.
The monument was completed in 1874, nine years after Lincoln's assassination. Repairs have been necessary throughout it's history, the most notable was finished in 1901 at which time Lincoln and his family were interred for the final time.