Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Thu July 3, 2014
Les Paul On Piano Jazz
A phenomenal guitarist and pioneering audio engineer, Les Paul has been a major influence in 20th Century music, both as a performer and technical innovator. The guitar legend made a rare appearance on Piano Jazz, bringing with him his trio — Lou Paulo on guitar and Paul Nowinski on bass.
Paul's jazz roots go back to the early 1930s, when he performed Eddie Lang- and Django Reinhardt-style jazz on-air, during his evening radio show on WIND in Chicago.
In this program, recorded at Avatar Studios in 1999, Marian McPartland makes it a quartet, and they perform jazz standards and reminisce on Paul's long and illustrious career, including his early days as a country musician.
Originally recorded Jan. 28, 1999, at Avatar Studios, New York. Originally broadcast June 1, 1999.