Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Illinois TV Anchor On Cancer And Leading A Normal Life
- UI Faculty Association President Calls Salaita Report A Game Changer
- Agencies To Ask For More, Rauner Says ... Without Giving An Opinion On If They Deserve It Or Not
- IIAA Teaches Life Skills Through Sports
- Parties' Power Grabs In Battle For Comptroller; Quinn Calls Legislators Into Special Session
Thu February 20, 2014
Latitudes: International Music You Must Hear Now
Originally published on Thu June 12, 2014 11:59 am
Globally, it's been a very busy month for music, especially at the intersection of art and politics. There's the brand-new Pussy Riot video from Sochi published Wednesday, as well a real groundbreaker of a video released on Valentine's Day by the Iranian legend Googoosh — one that celebrates LGBT relationships and apparently has already been widely viewed illegally within Iran itself.
But there is a lot of other great new music to hear — politically topical and not — plus the curious case of a years-old, Balkan-flavored track that's made its way to the heights of the American charts in a slightly different guise. Come take a listen.