Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Fri May 23, 2014
Latin Roots: Juan Formell
Originally published on Fri May 23, 2014 3:07 pm
On this installment of Latin Roots from World Cafe, writer and producer Rachel Faro discusses one of her heroes, bass player Juan Formell. Formell led the Cuban band Los Van Van for almost 45 years, and was one of its remaining original members when he died on May 1 at 71. The band is now led by Formell's son, Samuel. Faro praises Los Van Van's ability to reflect the changes in Cuban society over the years, while still keeping things moving.
Check out Faro's Los Van Van Spotify playlist.