Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Mon December 30, 2013
KEXP Presents: Julianna Barwick
Originally published on Mon July 7, 2014 12:48 pm
If you were to define a sub-genre for Julianna Barwick's ambient music, it might be something like "polar pastoralism," as the young singer and composer evokes both the Southern straw-dust farmland of her youth and the glacial fields that surrounded the recording of her latest album.
For Nepenthe, producer Alex Somers (Jónsi, Sin Fang, Pascal Pinon) lured Barwick to Iceland to write, record and ultimately create a new dynamic in her synthesis of sound and space. The resulting album ought to make you drop your sorrows and concerns as you're transported to a serene wonderland.