Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Illinois TV Anchor On Cancer And Leading A Normal Life
- UI Faculty Association President Calls Salaita Report A Game Changer
- Agencies To Ask For More, Rauner Says ... Without Giving An Opinion On If They Deserve It Or Not
- IIAA Teaches Life Skills Through Sports
- Parties' Power Grabs In Battle For Comptroller; Quinn Calls Legislators Into Special Session
Mon December 30, 2013
KEXP Presents: Julianna Barwick
Originally published on Mon July 7, 2014 12:48 pm
If you were to define a sub-genre for Julianna Barwick's ambient music, it might be something like "polar pastoralism," as the young singer and composer evokes both the Southern straw-dust farmland of her youth and the glacial fields that surrounded the recording of her latest album.
For Nepenthe, producer Alex Somers (Jónsi, Sin Fang, Pascal Pinon) lured Barwick to Iceland to write, record and ultimately create a new dynamic in her synthesis of sound and space. The resulting album ought to make you drop your sorrows and concerns as you're transported to a serene wonderland.