Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Fri October 4, 2013
Journalist And Author Katherine Boo Coming To UIS
The University of Illinois Springfield One Book reading program last fall put the tale of Indian slum dwellers in the hands of students, staff, faculty and community members.
Katherine Boo is the author of Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity.
"I hope that when you read a book like this, you're not seeing the people of Annawadi as some remote 'other', but that you're recognizing how much people have in common... there's so much human 'connective tissue' in this world." - Katherine Boo
Boo joined us on Illinois Edition from London to tell us about the residents of the Annawadi slum, with whom she's developed a deep connection since she first arrived in Mumbai six years ago:
Behind the Beautiful Forevers will be the center of a book discussion Tuesday April 1st at the Sangamon Auditorium on the Springfield campus of the University of Illinois. The event, beginning at 7 pm, is free and open to the public. Advance ticket reservations are encouraged.