Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Tiny Desk Concerts
Sat July 26, 2014
Highasakite: Tiny Desk Concert
Originally published on Sat July 26, 2014 2:37 pm
My first time seeing this Norwegian band was at a fairly soulless convention center in Austin, Texas. They transformed that big, open room into an intimate affair. So having them perform at the Tiny Desk, an already intimate space, was a thrill. It was also the first appearance of a flugabone here. Kristoffer Lo plays that mournful horn and Ingrid Helene Håvik compliments the yearning with words that are mysterious, somewhat dark and contain surprising twists.
The song titles on their 2014 album Silent Treatment seem more like chapter headings in a crime novel. "Leaving No Traces," "I, The Hand Grenade," "The Man on the Ferry," "Science & Blood Tests" — you get the picture. But this band has a powerful pop side filled with drama made of drums, synths, guitar and the aforementioned flugabone and voice. So glad I get to turn you on to a new favorite of mine.
- "The Man on the Ferry"
- "Since Last Wednesday"
Producers: Bob Boilen, Denise DeBelius; Audio Engineer: Kevin Wait; Videographers: Denise DeBelius, Olivia Merrion; Production Assistant: Becky Lettenberger; photo by Olivia Merrion/NPR