Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Fri December 27, 2013
Gerald Wilson On Piano Jazz
Originally published on Fri September 12, 2014 7:07 pm
Composer and arranger Gerald Wilson has charted the course for some of the legends of jazz, including Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie. Wilson got his start as a trumpet player with Jimmie Lunceford's group, but was soon recognized as a composer, arranger and big-band leader with a wealth of sophisticated musical ideas and total dedication to the infinite possibilities of jazz. Host Marian McPartland improvises a musical portrait in honor of Gerald Wilson in a session from 2006.
Originally recorded June 19, 2006.