Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz
Fri December 27, 2013
Gerald Wilson On Piano Jazz
Originally published on Fri September 12, 2014 7:07 pm
Composer and arranger Gerald Wilson has charted the course for some of the legends of jazz, including Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie. Wilson got his start as a trumpet player with Jimmie Lunceford's group, but was soon recognized as a composer, arranger and big-band leader with a wealth of sophisticated musical ideas and total dedication to the infinite possibilities of jazz. Host Marian McPartland improvises a musical portrait in honor of Gerald Wilson in a session from 2006.
Originally recorded June 19, 2006.