Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Mon August 11, 2014
Former Illinois Lawmaker Dies at 48
Services are pending for former west-central Illinois state lawmaker Mike Smith.
Oak-Hines Funeral Home in Smith's hometown of Canton says the 48-year-old Democrat died Saturday morning at his home of a suspected heart attack.
The (Peoria) Journal Star reports Smith served 16 years in the state Legislature before losing his 2010 re-election bid.
He later was named by Gov. Pat Quinn to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board. That appointment drew criticism over whether Smith was qualified for the $94,000 position. Quinn called Smith ``a friend'' with a long record of working on education in the statehouse.
Quinn says Smith ``set an example for what service to the people of his district and the people of Illinois should be.''
Oak-Hines Funeral Home says funeral arrangements should be finalized Monday.