Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Mon August 11, 2014
Former Illinois Lawmaker Dies at 48
Services are pending for former west-central Illinois state lawmaker Mike Smith.
Oak-Hines Funeral Home in Smith's hometown of Canton says the 48-year-old Democrat died Saturday morning at his home of a suspected heart attack.
The (Peoria) Journal Star reports Smith served 16 years in the state Legislature before losing his 2010 re-election bid.
He later was named by Gov. Pat Quinn to the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board. That appointment drew criticism over whether Smith was qualified for the $94,000 position. Quinn called Smith ``a friend'' with a long record of working on education in the statehouse.
Quinn says Smith ``set an example for what service to the people of his district and the people of Illinois should be.''
Oak-Hines Funeral Home says funeral arrangements should be finalized Monday.