Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Mon December 23, 2013
Former DCFS Director Calica Dies
The former head of Illinois’ child welfare department died overnight.
Richard Calica resigned his position with the state Department of Children and Family Services last month.
He’d been diagnosed with cancer and had undergone surgery. When he resigned - Governor Pat Quinn praised Calica for adding more than 100 child welfare investigators to the department.
Calica’s chief of staff took over the department on an interim basis when he resigned.
Calica was 67.