Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Fri July 11, 2014
Fly Like An Eagle: Site Picks The Best Aerial Drone Photos
Originally published on Fri July 11, 2014 11:15 am
An eagle soars above a national park in Bali, Indonesia. A waterfall in Mexico is seen from above its shelf of cascading water. Those are the top two finishers in a contest held to find the best images captured by cameras mounted on aerial drones. The winners were recently unveiled by the site Dronestagram.
The website chose winners by two methods: a juried competition, and the images' popularity among the site's visitors (see the top three images in each category). The contest was sponsored by National Geographic France.
One image, taken at low altitude in Manila, Philippines, captured the smiles of kids and others watching a drone hover above them.
"Went back to my hometown in the Philippines," the photographer, identified as jericsaniel, wrote. "I was flying in the park one Sunday morning when suddenly people had become really interested with my drone."
Another image captures the sunset over the picturesque French town of Annecy, south of Geneva, Switzerland.