Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
All Songs Considered
Fri January 31, 2014
Son Lux, 'Alternate World'
Originally published on Wed July 2, 2014 3:07 pm
Reality is nine-tenths perception, even in our most intimate relationships. Is it love? Infatuation? Is it real and lasting? All we have are the choices we make. In the latest video from electro-beat guru Son Lux, a torrid relationship plays out between two lovers, as frontman Ryan Lott reflects on the possibilities of an "Alternate World."
"Make what we believe / Don't we make what we can?" Lott asks, as we follow a couple's steamy, often volatile affair, from their only-maybe-safe-for-work make-out sessions to winter walks on the beach and late-night romps at an amusement park. In the end, they arrive at the inevitable dissolution of a relationship that burns too bright and moves too fast. "The past is a type of reality that haunts the present," Lott tells us via email. "And the film's story and imagery evokes this feeling beautifully."
Directors Truman and Cooper say they were inspired by the emotional pull of "Alternate World." "We immediately had images of foggy worlds, dreamed and abstract. They led us to the themes of memories and nostalgia. We wanted to play with the ambiguity between a parallel world based on different choices in your life, and a memory of a past long gone."
"Alternate World" is from Son Lux's most recent album, Lanterns.