Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Springfield Arts Association
Fri November 22, 2013
First Night Organizers Plan 5K
First Night Springfield, Springfield's most-attended public event to celebrate New Year's Eve, will host a 5K race this year. The run and walk will take place around the Scheels store off of MacArthur Boulevard. It's a new addition to the roster of activities that include various arts performances. The race will take place on December 29th.
Craig McFarland, President of the Springfield Area Arts Council which hosts First Night, says the group wanted to attract those in the community concerned with health and wellness: "Arts are for everyone and so what we wanted to do was broaden our base, we wanted to reach a new audience."
Fireworks this year will be moved to 8 o'clock New Year's Eve night. A buffet dinner will also be available - tickets must be purchased in advance.