Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Public Radio Interview: Rauner At 100 Days
- Data Trackers: License Plate Scanning Technology Raises Privacy Questions
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Studies Show Limited Impact Of Settlement Sizes On Health Care
- School Musical Decorations Produce Off-Stage Drama
Wed October 23, 2013
Dennis Coffey On World Cafe
Originally published on Thu October 24, 2013 9:18 am
The Motor City's own Dennis Coffey joins us for this installment of Sense of Place: Detroit. The veteran musician holds strong ties to the city's R&B and soul sound. As a guitarist and producer, Coffey spent a good amount of time in Motown's Studio A, which artists dubbed "the snake pit."
On Wednesday's episode of World Cafe, Coffey talks with host David Dye about getting on producer Norman Whitfield's good side at Motown after playing the wah-wah pedal in the classic opening of The Temptations' "Cloud Nine." Coffey also takes a moment to describe the creation of his huge instrumental hit, "Scorpio."
Listen to a Sense of Place: Detroit playlist of Motown's greatest hits on Spotify.