Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Are People Really Leaving Illinois In Droves?
- Falling Union Membership? The Governor Has A Theory About That ...
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
Mon August 4, 2014
Democratic Advisor Gene Callahan Dead At 80
A longtime aide to top Democratic officials in Illinois has died. Gene Callahan passed away Monday morning at the age of 80 at his Springfield home. Callahan worked for Alan Dixon, Paul Simon and Sam Shapiro.
In an interview with the Lincoln Presidential Library's Oral History Program in 2011, Callahan talked about he was most proud of during his time in government:
"Well, hopefully recommending real, qualified, smart people in government. I always tried to get people smarter than I around me. And I succeeded at that," he said.
Callahan later served on the SIU Board of Trustees and spent time as a lobbyist for Major League baseball. His daughter is Congresswoman Cheri Bustos. He attended a fundraiser for her in Springfield over the weekend.