Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Mon August 4, 2014
Democratic Advisor Gene Callahan Dead At 80
A longtime aide to top Democratic officials in Illinois has died. Gene Callahan passed away Monday morning at the age of 80 at his Springfield home. Callahan worked for Alan Dixon, Paul Simon and Sam Shapiro.
In an interview with the Lincoln Presidential Library's Oral History Program in 2011, Callahan talked about he was most proud of during his time in government:
"Well, hopefully recommending real, qualified, smart people in government. I always tried to get people smarter than I around me. And I succeeded at that," he said.
Callahan later served on the SIU Board of Trustees and spent time as a lobbyist for Major League baseball. His daughter is Congresswoman Cheri Bustos. He attended a fundraiser for her in Springfield over the weekend.