- Attorney General Wants To Send Concealed Carry Cases Out Of Court
- Republican Bruce Rauner Defends His Personal Tax Bill
- Trucker Asks: Are Police Above The Law?
- Republican Attorney General Candidate: Pension Changes Unconstitutional
- Applicants Denied Concealed Carry Licenses Will Learn Why Under New Emergency Rules
Most Active Stories
Wed December 25, 2013
Christmas Archives --- December 25, 2013
This is the WUIS Christmas Archives... for Wednesday... December 25th. I'm Rich Bradley
Christmas Day 1980... and in the State Journal-Register... a full cover page picture of a watercolor of Riverton's Immanuel Lutheran Church... built in 1897. In a front page editorial... Publisher Helen K. Copley describes the country's current condition as “gloomy” and believes 1980 was the winter solstice of the decade... the darkest time... but with a glimpse of brighter days ahead.
Advertisements for tomorrow's after-Christmas sales appear every couple pages...
In the insert “Take Two”... Andy Lindstrom's article says “it's all tinsel and traffic now... but there was time when Christmas was just a rifle shoot and a piece of calico in the stocking.” It goes on to describe the simple Christmases of Springfield's early days.
Eileen Mears... of Greenfield, Illinois... writes in her column about the special meaning of Christmas for farm families.
And on page 20... a list of all 347 employees... and the management of the State Journal-Register... extending their Season's Greetings to readers.
That's the WUIS Christmas Archives for Wednesday... December 25th. I'm Rich Bradley.