Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Thu December 12, 2013
Christmas Archives for December 12, 2013
This is the WUIS Christmas Archives... for Thursday... December 12th. I'm Rich Bradley
Looking back at this day in 1964... the Illinois State Register reports Old St. Nick was welcomed by the children of Springfield... at the Governor's annual Christmas party in the state armory. Governor Otto Kerner's children... Helena and Tony were also there.
The Springfield High School Choir is heading to Bloomington to be part of the annual Christmas concert at Illinois Wesleyan University. It's their first performance outside of the city. Many of the other public schools have planned Yule programs during Christmas week.
News from Washington D.C.... there will be no regular mail delivery on December 26th... which will allow mail carriers to get some rest.
Tom Turkey showed up at the Governor's office yesterday... and was invited to stay for Christmas dinner. The 40 pound bird was a gift from the State Turkey Growers Association.
In the comics... A woman presents Santa with a stack of papers... saying “To save you a trip this year, here are the bills for the gifts I bought myself!”
And... on page 12 is chapter 7 in the serial story... “Santa & the Singing Turtle.” Chapter 7 is titled 'The Handsomest Snowman.' A drawing shows the snowman... complete with top hat & carrot nose... encircled by cheering elves.
That's the WUIS Christmas Archives for Thursday... December 12th. I'm Rich Bradley.