Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Sat October 19, 2013
Bradley Univ. To Again Have Mascot
Bradley University has a new mascot for the first time in more than 20 years.
The Journal Star reports (http://bit.ly/16gYekk) the school said in a news release Friday that it has chosen the gargoyle as its new mascot. The Peoria school will keep the nickname ``Braves.'' School officials have said Bradley stopped using a mascot at some point before 1990 as pressure to drop American Indian mascots increased.
The university's statement said choosing the mascot comes after two years of focus groups and surveys. Officials say more than 3,200 respondents overwhelmingly supported the school having a mascot ``with the favored choice being the gargoyle.''
The statement said the school would later announce an official launch and unveiling of the new mascot.