Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Sat October 19, 2013
Bradley Univ. To Again Have Mascot
Bradley University has a new mascot for the first time in more than 20 years.
The Journal Star reports (http://bit.ly/16gYekk) the school said in a news release Friday that it has chosen the gargoyle as its new mascot. The Peoria school will keep the nickname ``Braves.'' School officials have said Bradley stopped using a mascot at some point before 1990 as pressure to drop American Indian mascots increased.
The university's statement said choosing the mascot comes after two years of focus groups and surveys. Officials say more than 3,200 respondents overwhelmingly supported the school having a mascot ``with the favored choice being the gargoyle.''
The statement said the school would later announce an official launch and unveiling of the new mascot.