Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Illinois TV Anchor On Cancer And Leading A Normal Life
- UI Faculty Association President Calls Salaita Report A Game Changer
- Agencies To Ask For More, Rauner Says ... Without Giving An Opinion On If They Deserve It Or Not
- IIAA Teaches Life Skills Through Sports
- Parties' Power Grabs In Battle For Comptroller; Quinn Calls Legislators Into Special Session
Sat October 19, 2013
Bradley Univ. To Again Have Mascot
Bradley University has a new mascot for the first time in more than 20 years.
The Journal Star reports (http://bit.ly/16gYekk) the school said in a news release Friday that it has chosen the gargoyle as its new mascot. The Peoria school will keep the nickname ``Braves.'' School officials have said Bradley stopped using a mascot at some point before 1990 as pressure to drop American Indian mascots increased.
The university's statement said choosing the mascot comes after two years of focus groups and surveys. Officials say more than 3,200 respondents overwhelmingly supported the school having a mascot ``with the favored choice being the gargoyle.''
The statement said the school would later announce an official launch and unveiling of the new mascot.