- Attorney General Wants To Send Concealed Carry Cases Out Of Court
- Republican Bruce Rauner Defends His Personal Tax Bill
- Trucker Asks: Are Police Above The Law?
- Applicants Denied Concealed Carry Licenses Will Learn Why Under New Emergency Rules
- Republican Attorney General Candidate: Pension Changes Unconstitutional
Most Active Stories
Thu September 19, 2013
Book Uncovers Violent Greene County History
D.L. Dennis set out to write a book about a century old chapter in his family's history as well as the history of one west central Illinois town. The Witwer Files follows his grandfather's time as marshal in the Greene County community of Hillview. In 1915, Witwer shot and a killed a man and was brought up on charges of murder. He was eventually acquitted.
Dennis was later raised by his grandparents. "He carried that burden with him," Dennis said. "I think he himself wondered if maybe he was too reactive with the gun."