Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
Thu September 19, 2013
Book Uncovers Violent Greene County History
D.L. Dennis set out to write a book about a century old chapter in his family's history as well as the history of one west central Illinois town. The Witwer Files follows his grandfather's time as marshal in the Greene County community of Hillview. In 1915, Witwer shot and a killed a man and was brought up on charges of murder. He was eventually acquitted.
Dennis was later raised by his grandparents. "He carried that burden with him," Dennis said. "I think he himself wondered if maybe he was too reactive with the gun."