Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Public Radio Interview: Rauner At 100 Days
- Data Trackers: License Plate Scanning Technology Raises Privacy Questions
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Studies Show Limited Impact Of Settlement Sizes On Health Care
- School Musical Decorations Produce Off-Stage Drama
Thu September 19, 2013
Book Uncovers Violent Greene County History
D.L. Dennis set out to write a book about a century old chapter in his family's history as well as the history of one west central Illinois town. The Witwer Files follows his grandfather's time as marshal in the Greene County community of Hillview. In 1915, Witwer shot and a killed a man and was brought up on charges of murder. He was eventually acquitted.
Dennis was later raised by his grandparents. "He carried that burden with him," Dennis said. "I think he himself wondered if maybe he was too reactive with the gun."