Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Public Radio Interview: Rauner At 100 Days
- Data Trackers: License Plate Scanning Technology Raises Privacy Questions
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Studies Show Limited Impact Of Settlement Sizes On Health Care
- School Musical Decorations Produce Off-Stage Drama
58th Annual National Tom Sawyer Days
Tue July 2, 2013
Becky Thatcher House Re-Opens In Hannibal, MO
The 58th Annual National Tom Sawyer Days celebration starts Wednesday in Hannibal, Missouri.
The festival runs through the weekend with events honoring Samuel Clemens' literary work, including the town's "Tom and Becky" lookalike contest for kids.
A site in downtown Hannibal dedicated to Becky Thatcher - and the real woman who inspired the fictional character - has just re-opened to visitors following a major restoration effort.
Henry Sweets, Executive Director of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, joined Peter Gray on Illinois Edition to discuss the historical significance of the Becky Thatcher Home and what they have planned for the site's future: