Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- State's Paying Interest On 2011 Past Due Wages; May Finally Pay Up
- Beautiful Book Pairs Felicia Olin's Art & Vachel Lindsay's Poetry
- The Players: Inspector General's Push For Public Reports Stalls
- Plan That Would Allow Ex-Felons To Work In Schools Gets Support From Conservatives
- Listen to State Week - April 10, 2015
Wed December 11, 2013
Audio Postcard: Smoggy Streets Of Shanghai
Originally published on Tue December 17, 2013 9:51 am
NPR’s Frank Langfitt brings Here & Now an audio postcard from the streets of Shanghai.
Last week, the smog in Shanghai, China, reached hazardous levels. On Friday, smog set records in Shanghai. The Air Quality Index soared over 600, which is officially “beyond index,” or off-the-charts awful.
And on Saturday morning, there was essentially a smog white-out, according to Langfitt. Visibility was down to about 40 feet.
The environmental authority got sick of putting out so many air-quality alerts that they decided to simply adjust the standards downward so there would not be as many.